Saturday, April 26, 2008

Bill Clinton & Gloria Arroyo: Scandal Duo of the Class of '68

Published April 25, 2008
INQUIRER.net

If it were not for other pressing matters, Bill Clinton and Gloria Arroyo would probably be looking forward to what could be a fun and important event: Their college reunion.

This year is the 40th anniversary of Georgetown University’s Class of 1968. The class homecoming at the oldest and most prestigious Catholic, and Jesuit, university in the United States kicks off late May. But the list of expected attendees does not mention either Clinton or Arroyo.

That’s too bad. They were stars of the class.

Clinton and Arroyo, who were classmates from 1964-66, share the distinction as two of only three Georgetown alums from the Class of ’68 to become a head of state. (The third is Alfredo Christiani, the former president of El Salvador.)

Then again, the two also have reasons for skipping the party. Not just because he’s campaigning for his wife’s presidential bid, and she’s busy trying to survive the latest scandal in her turbulent administration.

But they may decide not to show up because Bill and Gloria also have been at the center of some of the most jaw dropping political scandals in recent history. They were the Scandal Duo of the Class of ’68.

Clinton was the star of arguably the most bizarre sexual fiasco in the history of American politics. I’ll skip the sordid details. Just Google the following words: “White House intern,” “Monica Lewinsky,” “blue dress.”

Even more damaging in the eyes of many were his presidential pardons including the one he granted to Marc Rich, a fugitive who was accused of tax evasion, racketeering and trading with the enemy – whose wife reportedly made generous donations to Clinton’s presidential library and Hillary Clinton’s senate campaign.

And Gloria Arroyo? Why waste space here. Just Google “Hello Garci,” “Jocjoc Bolante,” “NBN,” “Mike Arroyo.”

You can just imagine the idle chit-chat at the Georgetown reunion parties about the two powerful, controversial, Class of ’68 alums.

“He did what with the cigar with the intern in the Oval Office?”

“Her voice got turned into a ring tone? And she was asking an election official about winning by how many votes?”

There might even be a class poll on who should have been voted “most likely to get mired in an embarrassing political scandal.” Or on who did a better job surviving a political scandal. Arroyo should have the edge on that one. He was acquitted during his impeachment trial; she’s actually outfoxed those who’d like to impeach her.

Arroyo spent only two years of college at Georgetown. She finished her undergraduate studies at Assumption College. But she’s clearly proud of having studied at Georgetown and has fond memories of her years at the Jesuit institution.

“In our time, [Georgetown] was one of the good schools, and it produced three presidents," she said at the university a few months after taking over as president. "Now it is one of the best schools, and you can imagine what is expected."

And she clearly has shared a special friendship with Bill Clinton. During his 1994 visit to the Philippines as US President, Arroyo, who was then senator, survived an accident after the helicopter she was in crash-landed in Manila. The incident didn’t prevent Arroyo from meeting her classmate.

"I'm glad you are all right," Clinton was quoted in news reports as telling Arroyo as they warmly shook hands during arrival honors for Clinton at the Malacanang presidential palace in Manila. "We read about you in the papers."

Arroyo responded, "Of course I had to be well enough to get up and meet my former classmate."

It would be fascinating to drill down on the kind of political education they shared at Georgetown. For both Arroyo and Clinton built impressive political careers that, in the eyes of many, steadily fell apart once they attained power and eventually led to political disasters.

Bill Clinton was the kid from Hope, Arkansas who overcame a hard life and used what is undoubtedly a brilliant mind to become the first baby boomer president of the United States. There is even a famous photo of him as a young boy shaking hands with President John F. Kennedy during a tour of the White House. And he is known for putting an end to 12 years of conservative Republican rule, ushering in what was supposed to be a new era of progressive American politics.

Instead, Monica Lewinsky and the other scandals have ended up also defining his legacy. Even Hillary Clinton is paying the price for this. When Democratic US Senator Claire McCaskill, a one time Hillary supporter, announced that she was endorsing her rival, Barack Obama, she told a TV journalist that Bill Clinton may have been a great leader, “but I don’t want my daughter near him.”

Gloria Arroyo, daughter of a former president, was a respected academic and opposition fighter during the Marcos dictatorship. She was seen as the answer to the chaotic administration of actor-turned-politician Joseph Estrada. With her wooden image, few expected her to be a beacon of inspiration. But most Filipinos expected and hoped that with her academic training, political experience and pedigree, she would at least get the job done – and get it done with unquestionable integrity.

Instead, Arroyo will be remembered as the as the leader who presided over one of the most scandal-ridden administrations in the country’s history – and the only Philippine president to be caught on tape in what strongly appeared to be a blatant attempt at vote-rigging .

In any case, Clinton and Arroyo will likely not get a chance to swap political war stories at the Georgetown homecoming (unless they have quietly and secretly been making plans to attend). And their schedules over the coming months will probably be too hectic to permit any other kinds of reunion.

But that could also change.

If Hillary Clinton wins the American presidency and Arroyo survives this latest crisis in Manila, then maybe she and Mike Arroyo will get to attend the inauguration gala in January. Hell, with the Clintons back at the White House, she may have many more opportunities to hang out with her Georgetown buddy.

And as the two couples are enjoying their private moments together, Hillary might even ask Gloria Arroyo, “So what’s the most important thing to remember about being a woman president, Glo?”

“Oh, gee, Hillary, just keep on top of the issues, your cabinet and your allies,” Gloria would respond. “Oh, and make sure your husband behaves himself and not cause any trouble.”

Hillary would nod, but then quickly add, “Yeah, well, I learned that a long time ago, sister.”

If Hillary triumphs, Bill Clinton would also take on a new and unusual role as the United States of America’s very first “First Gentleman.” And so a get-together with Gloria and the Philippine FG would also be an opportunity for him to ask her husband for advice.

“So Mike, what’s it like to be First Gentleman?” Bill would ask. “Got any tips, buddy?”

“Oh, it’s lotsa fun, Bill,” Mike Arroyo would say. “Plenty of perks, not too many back-breaking responsibilities. Just remember to get out of the missus’s way, keep a low profile, stay out of trouble, be good and behave.”

Bill Clinton would give him a questioning look. Mike would shrug his shoulders. They would stare at each other for a second or two.

Then they would both burst out laughing.

2 comments:

reymar said...

When I say your article: "In memory of my last yosi", i was amazed of the co-incidence. Last night, I also wrote an article regarding my quitting smoking which is nearing its 10th anniversary.

Reymar Mansilungan
reymarm@yahoo.com

P.S. Here's what I wrote:


SELF IMPOSED DEADLINE
QUIT SMOKING

In his book: “The Greatest Salesman In The World”, Og Mandino, one the World’s greatest presenters, that ever lived poignantly wrote in its “Scroll Marked IX:
“My procrastination which has held me back was born of fear and now I recognize this secret mined from the depths of all courageous hearts. Now I know that to conquer fear I must always act without hesitation and the flutters in my heart will vanish. Now I know that action reduces the lion of terror to an ant of equanimity [emotional stability or peace of mind].”
Even the World’s wealthiest self made billionaires cannot brag that he never procrastinated in his life. It is like the common colds, everyone had it. Its like an opinion, everyone has one. It is one of the bad habits in life that must be replaced by a good habit.
Aptly, Og Mandino outlined that habits can never be removed, they can only be replaced. Thus, to cure one’s ill habit of procrastination, one must be able to learn to set self imposed deadlines. And it is not only for our secular activities but as well include our goals.
We must set our self imposed deadlines on: “When will we quit being poor and start being wealthy”. “When will we stop being afraid and start being brave”. “When will we throw away the excess baggage that we toiled to carry subconsciously on our shoulders and start our journey unyoked from the burdens of fear, prejudice, hate, envy, deceit and ingratitude”.
I shall tell myself each morning I wake up: “Today I begin a new life, today I shed my old skin which had too long suffered the bruises of failures and the wounds of mediocrity. Today I’m born anew and my birthplace is a vineyard of wealth, position and happiness, which only yesterday seemed but a dream. Today, I will pluck grapes of wisdom from the tallest and fullest vines in the vineyard for these were planted by the wisest from my profession, who have come before me, generation upon generation.
The career I have chosen is laden with opportunities, heartbreaks and despair. And the bodies of those who have failed if they were piled one atop another will cast its shadow down upon all the pyramids of the earth [for they aren’t few]. . .
But I will not fail as the others, for in my hands I now hold the charts which will guide me out of the shadows of the darkness of grief and sorrow into the sunlight wealth and happiness. . . (adopted from Scroll Marked I).
Many years ago I was a heavy smoker burning two pack of mentholated cigarettes per day. It wasn’t only expensive and a great burden to my family’s finances, I was also a great contributor to the stench air my small children breaths.
I’ve tried quitting many times until I got tired of trying. I was a procrastinator that I even procrastinated on when to stop procrastinating on quitting smoking. Until one day, I got tired of procrastinating, I decided this is it! I can procrastinate on certain things but when it comes to the health and very life of my loved ones, I will quit procrastinating and start setting self imposed deadlines.
As son as the deadline was set, which was on the very time it was set, I quit smoking. It happened when I just consumed the second stick of the new pack that I opened. The flap was still crisply refolded to its usual fold after tipping out the second stick. To strengthen my resolve, I dipped the pack of Philip Morris I had with 18 sticks still neatly stacked inside, into the steaming mug of coffee served to me as I was having breakfast with friends at the Cravings along Tomas Morato, and proudly declared: “I will not smoke cigarette again in my life!’
I was August of 1998 and as I draw close to the 10th anniversary of my sweet surrender to the bad habit of smoking, I reckoned, I tried many times to do it but I only became successful when I decided to set self imposed deadline and beat procrastination.
Today’s financial hardship brought about by the never ending increase in the price of fuel, must be taken by our brother Filipinos as the cue to set our minds and bodies that will bring us closer to our natural individual dream to be affluent. Many a man’s success is brought by his attitude in life.
That considered, one’s ability to change the course of his life by the faithful practice of setting self imposed deadlines can bring him wealth, success and lasting happiness. The best initial try out, if you would want to call it that way, is set your self imposed deadline on when to quit smoking.
If you are successful in that endeavor, by all means you will be successful in secular activities. Have a happy life, quit smoking now!

Reymar R. Mansilungan
reymarm@yahoo.com

Benjamin Pimentel said...

Congratulations Reymar! Hopefully we can inspire others to also quit...